Thursday, June 13, 2013

Chalk Paint Makeover: From Changing Table to Office Console

This post should be titled, "If I can do it, anyone can."


I'm talking about Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.  And how, after finally jumping on the bandwagon everyone else joined two years ago, it changed my attitude about painting.  Which was previously bad. Really bad.  Like covered-head-to-toe-in-paint-and-crying-in-Home-Depot-bad.

I had resigned myself to a life of having to pay other people to paint for me.  Or a life of goodwilling or craigslisting furniture in finishes I could no longer use. A life of spending too much money on too little character.

Things have changed.  Why?  Because my new home office needed more storage.  And my babies have grown up and out of their nursery furniture.  And consequently, an unused, beautifully constructed, solid maple dresser and changing table sat in my garage for eleven months.  I had paid a pretty penny for it initially and couldn't bear to part with it.  It was "good furniture."  But it was also finished in a "rubbed ebony" stain that complemented nothing else in my new house.  So, it sat and gathered dust.

Finally, inspiration struck, measurements were taken, and I realized that the dresser/changing table would fit perfectly in my new office and provide much needed storage for stationery and office supplies.  It just needed new paint.


A trip to my local Annie Sloan stockist, Jamie Figari, and I was sold.  Jamie gave me practical tips and sold me my chosen Duck Egg Blue paint, clear wax, and wax brush.  With an additional trip to the hardware store for some Purdy paint brushes, sanding blocks, and a drop cloth, I was ready to begin.

Since my achilles heel is impatience, working with Annie Sloan paint was appealing from the start.  After a light sanding and cleaning to remove debris, I got to paint!  No priming or prep necessary.  And because the paint is low-VOC, I could paint indoors, which is a huge bonus when you are living in Texas in the summer.

After setting my children up with ipads educational puzzles and games, I got to work.  By the time I finished the first coat, initial sections had dried and were ready for a second coat.  I let the paint dry overnight, and after another light sanding, I applied a thin layer of the clear wax and buffed with a lint-free towel.  The result:


But alas, although Duck Egg Blue is a lovely color, I wasn't quite sure it worked in my office space, especially with the area rug.  It read greener than I wanted and still looked like nursery furniture.  So, I stared at the piece for about three weeks before making another trip to the stockist and choosing Aubusson Blue, a deep blue grey, instead.

One short afternoon's work later, this is the final result, with Restoration Hardware's Traditional Clear Glass Knobs:



I used only one coat of Aubusson Blue and sanded a bit so the distressing shows bits of the Duck Egg Blue underneath.  Although it is difficult to tell in the pictures because of the room's current poor lighting, the overall effect is of a peacock blue.  And the new hardware is really sparkly!  I lined the drawers and shelves with beautiful handmade paper, and now I'm thrilled with the look.  I can't wait to accessorize and start using this essential component of my home office.  I look forward to sharing my office reveal soon!

How have you used ASCP to transform furniture?



Sharing with Shabby Creek Cottage, Savvy Southern Style, House of Hepworths, DIY By Design, The Charm of Home, Serenity Now, French Country Cottage, Tatertots and Jello, I Heart Naptime, Six Sisters Stuff, Under the Table and Dreaming, Between Naps on the Porch, Homemaker on a Dime, Making the World Cuter, Start at Home, and My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia.






8 comments:

  1. I just found your fun Paint Project and would love to have you link up and my party!

    http://startathome.blogspot.com/2013/06/paint-party-and-giveaway.html

    I will follow on my way out!!

    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  2. You chose well with the darker blue. It's gorgeous! I'd love if you'd come share at Inspire Us Thursday at Organized 31. http://organized31.blogspot.com/2013/06/inspire-us-thursday-link-party-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. che bello, ha cambiato proprio aspetto!!!complimenti!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't yet used ASCP, but I hope to in the near future! The darker blue looks beautiful, and the sparkly knobs are just to die for!

    Stopping by from DIY by Design. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How many cans (32 fl oz) did you need for this dresser? I have two dressers that I'm guesstimating to be the same as yours, an oval table around the same size, its 4 chairs and 4 night tables that I have to paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adeyla22, it doesn't take much paint. A lot of Annie goes a long way :) One can will last for several projects. I have used about 1/4 of a 32oz can of duck egg blue on my kids' bathroom vanity, kitchen table top and base, and two end tables.

      Delete
  6. ? is it truly a blue guy color online it looks like of teal (if that makes sense?)

    ReplyDelete